Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Comfort Chicken Noodle Soup


Chicken noodle soup to the rescue!!  My girls were sick for a couple days of tummy aches, fever and cough and what a mommy to do in such a case?  Besides making some ginger brown sugar tea, I also cooked them their comfort chicken noodle soup!  My Asian girls don't like the comfort porridge when Asian eat when they were sick, instead they prefer the American comfort food when they were sick.  So, I would make sure I add in all the healing properties ingredients such as ginger, garlic, onion, cabbage and carrot!  I minced or diced it finely so that they wouldn't notice and would just eat it.

I only had spaghetti in my pantry instead of other kind of pasta, hence I torn those into 1 inch strips and made it more fun for them to eat.  They enjoyed every bit of it!  This would make a great lunch box for their school as well.


Ingredients:

Cabbage, 1 cup chopped
Carrot, 1 peeled and diced
Onion, 1/2 chopped
Ginger, 1 inch piece, peeled and diced into small pieces 
Garlic, 3-4 cloves, minced
Chicken breast, half and minced
Extra virgin olive oil
Organic Better than Bouillon chicken base, 1-2 tsp.
White pepper, dashes
Sea salt to taste
Water 
Spaghetti, tear into 1 inch length 

Methods:

1.  Heat up a large saucepan,  when heated add in olive oil and onion, ginger and garlic.  Stir-fry until fragrant.  Add in minced chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink.  Add in cabbage and carrot, stir-fry well.

2.  Add water to cover 1 inch above the ingredients.  Add in the chicken base, mix well until chicken base dissolved.  When boiling, tear in the spaghetti.  Turn the heat to medium and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the spaghetti is cooked through.  

3.  Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper.  Serve warm!

2 comments:

tigerfish said...

Frankly, I also enjoy this as my comfort food. I thought Asians also do chicken macaroni soup (which, to me, is similar to chicken noodle soup). :P

Of course, I also like porridge/congee as comfort food.

Veronica said...

This is no doubt comfort food, especially when is sick and have no appetite at all.