Monday, April 14, 2014

My Version of Vietnamese Dessert



We loved Vietnamese dessert.  Often time when we went up to Denver, we would go to a Vietnamese bakery shop to buy some of the kuih (Asian steamed cake), "tofu fah" and cups of sweet dessert like the above.  It came with several variety and it was hard to pick a favorite, but often time I would pick one loaded with beans, sweet potato, sago and taro.  I don't know how they really make theirs but I know it is sweet and covered with coconut milk.


This is my version and it tasted just like the one sold at the store.  It is not difficult to make but involved a few steps like cooking the tapioca pearls or strips first and steaming the sweet potato or taro if used.  Then, you just mix it all together and place into an individual serving bowl or cup and refrigerate until serving.  It is best eaten on the same day as the tapioca strips might harden when kept in the fridge for too long.  If you make this, please feedback to me ya!  Enjoy!


Ingredients:

1 sweet potato, peeled, cubed and steamed for 15 minutes.
1 can of Simple Truth Organic Tri-Bean Blend, drained and rinsed
1 can of sweetened, mashed red bean paste for dessert
1 cup of dried tapioca strips, simmered for 20 minutes, cover and let sit for 15 minutes or until soften (can substitute with sago/ tapioca pearls)
1 Tbsp. condensed milk 
1/2 cup of coconut cream or as needed

Method:

1.  In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients.  Mix well and put into individual serving container and refrigerate until ready to eat.  You can eat it after it is cold.

2.  You can also add steamed cubed taro.  Or use tapioca pearls if you couldn't find the tapioca strips.  

7 comments:

PH said...

Looks good! At first it reminded me of Bubur Cha Cha but this one is more dry. I think I will like it!

Christina Kim said...

Ooohh, this is indeed something new to me, and somehow it sounded and looked a lot like the Taiwanese desserts (combination of tapioca pearls, sweet potatoes, beans, etc)!
This sounds really interesting to me :-)

tigerfish said...

Have not tried this Vietnamese dessert before but I thought it is quite similar to Burbur Cha Cha with the taro, sweet potato and coconut milk!

Little Corner of Mine said...

This version is dry, no liquid.

Juliana said...

I have not had Vietnamese dessert for a while...yum! I love the texture of it.
Hope you are having a great week Ching :D

Anonymous said...

I've done a tapioca dessert with taro in my rice cooker...Also tofu fa is a Chinese dish/)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Anon, that owner is a Vietnamese Chinese, so she makes tofu fa too!