Saturday, December 21, 2013

Happy Dongzhi Festival !!



Dongzi Festival falls on the first day of winter.  Chinese celebrate it by eating "Tang Yuan" or glutinous rice balls.  By eating the tang yuan, you are also a year older or wiser.  *wink*  They also cook an elaborate meal to celebrate it with family members. 


These tang yuan were shaped by both my girls.  It is great that now they are able to help me in the kitchen and doing some house chores.  My eldest is interested in learning how to cook now, thus far, she can make her own ramen noodle with eggs and fried eggs.  I will slowly teach her more, it's my way of imparting my cooking knowledge to the next generation.  So that they will know what to do when they are in college.

Last but not least, HAPPY DONGZHI FESTIVAL to all who celebrated and also Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all my readers and family!


5 comments:

Juliana said...

I love these little balls...like your two colors ones...
Happy Holidays Ching :D

PH said...

When I was a kid, I used to help my grandma roll the balls. It was fun! And I love the chewy texture if the tang yuan. My grandma is very old now and no one has continued with the tradition. Anyway, I would like to wish you and your family Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Happy Belated Dongzhi and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Mae said...

Hello I've been hunting blog to blog and tested every single recipe but yet to find one as chewy as those bought outside... Can you please advice...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Mae,
Sorry I am not sure as I don't follow a recipe when I made my tang yuan. Perhaps you can try immerse it in ice cold water when it float to the top (when cooking signalling it's done)?