Monday, December 09, 2013

Blackberry Preserves


I love making berries preserves.  Whenever berries are on sales, I would buy a lot (my bad habit) and since we couldn't taste the berries first, it is like playing with luck, sometimes we would get sweet berries and sometimes we would end out with sour berries.  Luckily these days whenever I end out with lots of sour berries, I know I can make jam/preserves with it.  When blackberries were on sales, I bought a lot again because normally blackberries were sweet, unlike raspberries most of the times were sour.  So, imagine my dismay when it turned out to be sour, so sour that none of us want to eat it.  Hence, I made some refrigerator preserves with it, even without realizing it, I have been making my own jam/preserves throughout the summer (blueberries, raspberries and now blackberries).  I also have some blueberries freeze up to make some preserves during the winter.  Another winter jam that I like best is cuties clementines!  I am waiting for cuties to go on sales.



Ingredients:

1 lb. (16 ounce) blackberries (or any berries), rinsed
1 lb. pure unrefined cane sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Method:

In a saucepan, add in the washed blackberries, smash it with a spoon or fork.  Add lemon juice, mix well and let it boil.  When boiling, add in the cane sugar, mix well.  Turn the heat to low and let it simmer, uncover for at least 20-30 minutes.  Stir occasionally.   Put it in a glass bottle, close the lid and let it cool to room temperature before refrigerated.  Keep refrigerated always.

5 comments:

tigerfish said...

Maybe not berries season, that is why they are sour? But you are good at making all kinds of preserves :)

Noob Cook said...

hehe so "lucky" that you got sour blueberries then, they lead to many bottles of delicious blueberry preserves ^^

Janine said...

I've the same bad habit - I love berries and will buy tons of them whenever they're in season! I just made some cranberry preserves yum!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

making own jam is cheap and healthy!

PH said...

How lovely to make your own berries jam. Love the color too.