Sunday, May 26, 2013

Flaxseed Pumpkin Cake


After seeing all the delicious cakes baked by fellow bloggers, it made me realized that I haven't been baking cake in a while.  But I wanted something that was easy and not too troublesome to make, like my one whisk and one bowl cake recipe.  I finally decided on this pumpkin cake recipe because I have some organic pumpkin puree stock up in my pantry.  This time I added ground flaxseed just to make it healthier, no harm in getting an extra omega-3 right?


This cake is best eaten the next day.  The texture doesn't look like the usual pumpkin cake yet it is dense, soft and moist and so good with my morning cup of coffee.  I could taste the flaxseed, pumpkin and spices in the cake. Delicious!



Ingredients:


(A)
3 large brown eggs
1 cup oil (I used pure peanut oil in this)
1 (15 ounce) can organic pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 

(B)
2 cups cane sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup ground flaxseed (I ground it myself using a food processor)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. ground clove
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
 
1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Method:


1. Preheat oven to 350'F. Spray a 10-inch bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray with flour for baking.

2. In a big mixing bowl, whisk together (A) according to list.


3. Then, add in (B) and stir together with a spatula until smooth and well blended.
  Add in the walnuts and lightly stir it in.

4. Pour into the bundt pan and bake for one hour. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before inverted to cool completely on a wire rack (to prevent the cake from breaking).  Best enjoy the next day.  Keep it in an air-tight container.

3 comments:

Irina @ wandercrush said...

Oooh, this looks so deliciously dense. Makes me excited for autumn!

tigerfish said...

Looks very dense! Good to power up in the day time with a healthy nutritious cake like this.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Another healthy treat for your family!