Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Salad for Lunch


Our lazy and healthy lunch (minus the fried chicken tender)!  These days when I made my Asian Peanut Sesame Salad Dressing, I would double the recipe and keep it in a glass bottle in the refrigerator.  Then, I would pack the salad with dressing on the side for Evy to bring to her school for lunch.  Edda and I would eat that for lunch as well and that's the best way for us to have some raw food into our diet.  As in our Chinese culture, we hardly consume any raw food, it has to be quickly blanch in hot water or in a quick stir-fry.

For this salad, I was trying to incorporate as much nutrients as possible so I added fruit (banana, dried cranberries), seeds and nuts.  Not to forget the cilantro (can remove toxic chemicals from the body).  I forgot to add tomato and Hijiki seaweed.  I finally thought of another way to eat the Hijiki seaweed but on that day itself I forgot to use it.



Ingredients:

 *I didn't give measurement for the veggies as you know how much you eat better than me. ;)*

Organic romaine lettuce heart, washed and cut into pieces
English cucumber, washed and thinly sliced
Carrot, peeled and cut into strips
A small bunch of cilantro, washed and plucked the leaves and top part of stems, discard the bottom stems
1 small banana or 1/2 large banana, thinly sliced (it's great with strawberry too)
2 Tbsp. of sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp. of dried cranberries
2 Tbsp. cashew nuts/ walnuts/ any nuts you liked
1 store bought chicken tender, sliced
Asian peanut sesame salad dressing

Note:  You can replace the fried chicken tender with one hard boiled egg, and add tomato and hijiki seaweed.

Method:

Combine and serve!

5 comments:

tigerfish said...

I think the fried chicken tender is not unhealthy. In fact, it makes the salad more complete as a meal.

I have said it before and will say again. We really eat quite alike. :p

Belinda said...

Love the idea of adding bananas!

PH said...

I know this is delicious! I must bring salad to work. It's a lot healthier than buying food from the stalls.

daphne said...

I am a big fan of salads so this appeals to me. Besides, protein is always needed to keep u full so the chicken is fine.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I also try to eat more salad nowadays ..