Monday, July 23, 2012

Watermelon Rind Fried Rice


Surprise, surprise, surprise!  Who could have thought this was possible?  I didn't; that's why I had to cook it to believe it.  This fried rice used the cold mixed watermelon rind that I posted earlier.  Got to say this fried rice was really interesting and it tasted pretty good too.  The cold mixed watermelon rind actually gave this fried rice its taste as it was flavorful.  All I used for this simple fried rice were eggs, soy sauce, cold white rice, white pepper, a little sugar and the cold mixed watermelon rind.  If you make the watermelon rind salad, save some to make this fried rice and see for yourself!


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups cold white rice
  • 1 cup cold mixed watermelon rinds
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • Light soy sauce to taste
  • Dash of white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • Oil for cooking

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok.  When heated, add in cooking oil.   When warm, add in the beaten eggs.  Add in the rice, stir and mix well.  Let the eggs cover the rice.  Add light soy sauce to taste.  Stir fry well.

2.  Add in the watermelon rinds salad (without the juice).  Stir fry well until it's dry.  Season with white pepper (or black pepper) and sugar.  Mix well.  Do a taste test to see if you need any more soy.

3.  Serve hot.  Eat the fried rice with the watermelon rinds for the full flavor.

11 comments:

Ling's Passion said...

This is interesting. I have never cook with melon rind before.

tigerfish said...

Interesting! The hint of cooing sweetness in the savory fried rice ;)

WokandSpoon said...

Now this is really interesting. I suppose it would add a a bit of a crunch to the fried rice. Do you cook the rinds for very long?

The Experimental Cook said...

This is definitely very interesting!

Nava K said...

I surely didn't, I mean watermelon into fried rice? Thats really unique and a big surprise to me. But than again, why not for I am in for new discoveries in cooking.

Maggie said...

very interesting, i've never seen a stir-fry recipe with watermelon rinds. Looks pretty good!

Juliana said...

I never thought in using watermelon rind in fried rice...but can tell that the rice must taste nice with a touch of sweetness.
Hope you are having a nice week :)

Dewi Oni said...

I usually use watermelon rind for soup. I use pork ribs or chicken add some smoked ham. There is also pickled watermelon rind easy and difficult way that my late grandmama used to make.

daphne said...

I like the mixture of flavour and texture in this fried rice. Who would have thought!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

you are so creative to cook with watermelon rinds, next will be what? hehehe..

Noob Cook said...

love this no-waste recipe!