Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Stir-Fried Okra/ Lady's Fingers


Okra or Lady's Fingers as Malaysian called it is often found in stir-frying, in curry, in young tau foo or simply steam it whole.  But in the US, it is often found in gumbo or dip in batter and deep-fried.  When the seed pods are cooked, it produces "goo" or slime.  To prevent sliminess, you can keep the pod intact.  I actually enjoyed the slime and loved this veggie.  Do you like okra too?

I am sharing an easy way for stir-frying okra.  Ingredients are easily available in the Asian supermarket.  This method is without using the shrimp paste in oil and thus different from my previous method.



Ingredients:

  • 1 bowl of okra, washed, cut off the head and end and sliced thinly like above picture.
  • 1 big or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbsp. of dried shrimps, soften in hot water, drained
  • 2 Thai chili (I used green), sliced
  • Fish sauce to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar

Method:

1.  Heat up a wok.  When heated, add in cooking oil.  Add in dried shrimps, shallots and chili and stir-fry until fragrant.

2.  Add in okra and stir-fry until okra is soften and cooked.  Add a little water if needed.

3.  Season with fish sauce and sugar.  Stir-fry well and serve.

9 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I appreciate your post, and looks stunningly beautiful, but I am one of those people who just do not care for the slime of Okra. I know I should be open minded, but... not for me

I promise to love your next post!!!

tigerfish said...

Yes, I enjoy okra! All ways :)

Torviewtoronto said...

shrimp gives a lovely flavour to okra
looks delicious

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am just the opposite of Inspired by eRecipeCards. I LOVE the slime of the Okra! When I go for curry or assam fish head, I ask to add more okra. Frankly, the okra for me is the main star and fish head is only the co-star:D My mum also cook okra like yours. Just steam the okra and add some soya sauce and white pepper, I still love it!

mycookinghut said...

This is my all time favourite!!

Dwiana said...

I am very seldom cooking okra, but by looking at your dish I am thinking to make some.

Unknown said...

okra is not widely available here...but i like the idea of stir frying them. normally only see them in curries...

daphne said...

Oh yeah! I'm a fan of lady fingers for sure! esp in curries!! But have not thought of stir frying it!

ferestre lemn said...

In my opinion this looks like a delicious recipe and i think that it is not so difficult so i will try it very soon. I will post again after i will try it, thanks for sharing.