Saturday, July 23, 2011

Baked Tilapia with Honey Mustard and Panko


It was a fish day and I was cracking my head for something new to serve my family.  I remembered I did a honey mustard sauce tilapia fish before which my girls loved.  So, I thought I would make the same sauce again except this time I added some crumbs topping.  I used panko and added some seasonings and coated the fish before baking.  I bought the fish on sales for $3.50 per pound and it came with 5 fillets, so for two fillets, it only cost me $1.40.  It was cheaper than the yam leaves dish that I served along this.  I paid $2.93 for a bunch of yam leaves.  But overall, it was still less than $5 for a two dishes meal.



Ingredients:

  • 2 Tilapia fillets, rinsed
  • 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 3/4 cup of Japanese breadcrumbs/ Panko
  • Seasonings: salt, black pepper, dried parsley, garlic powder, paprika

Method:

1.  Preheat oven to 450'F.

2.  Lined a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  In a bowl, mix mustard and honey together.  In another bowl, add panko and seasonings together, stir to blend well.

3.  Place the fish on the foil and brush the top and bottom with the honey mustard sauce.  Then dip and coat both sides with the panko.

4.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Serve warm.

10 comments:

S.V. said...

I like cooking Tilapia and love that you used panko I can imagine it has a nice texture.

Nava K said...

I never knew such recipe existed until I saw yours.

Been trying for so long to comment from foodbuzz and it did not work at all until I had to google to find your blog.

Your recipe is so unique and different which I will want to see further.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

This sounds delicious! :)

daphne said...

You are soooo right in that it is cost effective and healthier to do your own crumbs! baking the fish create the crunch without the added fat. YUM!

Unknown said...

I always love your baked goods recipe. No frying, still tasty and cost effective is always a plus!

pigpigscorner said...

The panko is definitely a plus for me!

Jocie's Mom said...

That sounds delicious! Nice addition with the panko, i bet the fish tasted great :)

tigerfish said...

With fish and vegetables - who says a tasty nutritious meal at home is expensive! :D my kind of meal.

Anh said...

delicious and so simple!

ginger and scotch said...

Love this idea and will try it for my son. I love panko!