Saturday, June 12, 2010

Stir Fried Pork with Long Beans


This dish was created with something I had in a restaurant here.  They stir-fried it with a kind of Chinese preserved vegetable (usually come in small packet selling for few cents each and slightly spicy, gosh what does it called!).  Anyway, I omitted here because I hardly buy Chinese preserved vegetable.   I read that it is best to eat less of the preserved food, more so if it is from China.  I even stay away from the salted fish and used only dried anchovies as substitute.  The motto for me is "If I don't buy, then I don't have to cook with it, thus we don't have to eat it", with this motto, we certainly eat less of the preserved and salted food.  It is hard to resist from not buying all the times, so once in a blue moon, I gave in.  Do you all stay away from certain unhealthy food? 



Ingredients:

  • A bunch of long beans, washed and cut into 2 inches
  • 2 pork chops, thinly sliced and marinated with Chinese wine, soy sauce, white pepper and cornstarch
  • Chinese preserved vegetable (optional)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • LKK Oyster sauce to taste

Method:

1.  Heat up a wok, when heated, add in garlic and preserved vegetable (if used) and fry until fragrant.  Add in marinated pork slices and stir-fry until pork is cooked.

2.  Add in long beans and stir-fry well.  Season to taste with oyster sauce, add a little water if needed.  Stir-fry until long bean is cooked.  Serve hot.

11 comments:

Rice Palette said...

Great recipe! And yes, I do try to stay away from certain unhealthy foods (or at least I try!)

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

I don't like the long beans tat are available to buy in UK as they are tough and not nice to eat - however, dwarf green beans are perfect for this dish and are crisp and delicious!
I like this with the preserved vegetable 榨菜 I try not to eat it too often as preservatives may not be too healthy. I buy the small pouches of shredded vegetable so I know we are not eating too much of it. I still think it delicious if unhealthy!

pigpigscorner said...

This is good with rice =) I always have a stash of preserved veg, it's so good with porridge!

sock peng said...

my mom always fried this dishes

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

simple and yummy dish!

busygran said...

I think the preserved veg you're referring to is szechuan chye. Anyway you're right to cut down on preserved stuff and anyway your dish looks good.

Belinda @zomppa said...

What a great classic!

tigerfish said...

I stay away from preserved Chinese vegetables too....and agree with your kitchen motto - don't buy means no need to cook with it and no need to consume it...lol

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yeah me too, rice palette.

PlumLeaf, I agreed with you, it is nice with dwarf green beans too. :)

Yeah, I agreed with you pigpig.

SP, I copied this dish from a restaurant here.

Thanks Sonia.

Thanks busygran. :)

Thanks Belinda.

High five Tigerfish! :)

Noob Cook said...

I lack will power to stay away from preserved veg and salted fish. So I buy and try to cook with it but not all the time. haha

Food For Tots said...

Yeah, better stay away from those unhealthy preserved food. Can only see the effect in long run. Yeah, totally support your view. Keep it up!