Thursday, May 14, 2009

Green Peas Cookies



This was one of those unplanned baking day. I was snacking the green peas with Edda which we bought two weeks ago and then "ding dong". Finished one packet of this green peas had been slow and I really wanted to get rid of it fast instead of seeing it in front of my computer all the times. And then while snacking some today, the idea of making it into cookies came into mind. I always loved green peas cookies and I know it will get eaten faster than just the green peas alone. I only left with 1 cup of green peas and thus my experiment began and luckily the cookies turned out well. While making this cookie, another idea came to mind, you will have to stay tune to see what new cookies I will invent in the future. ;)

This green peas cookie is melt-in-the-mouth soft but with the crunchy bites from the crushed green peas. This recipe yields 49 cookies for me. It is a sweet cookie, you can slightly cut down on the icing sugar if you prefer it less sweet.





Ingredients:


  • 1 cup salted green peas (the one you bought at store)
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup icing sugar
  • 125ml canola oil

Method:


1. In a food processor. Process the green peas until fine.

2. In a big bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well with your hand. A dough should formed, if not add a little more oil to bind.


3. Take some of the dough, roll with your hands into a log shape, pinch about 1/2 inch off and shape into round shape. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Finish the rest of the dough.


4. Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 15 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool completely before keeping it in an air-tight container.

15 comments:

My Asian Kitchen said...

what a creative idea to use green pea in cookies!!..I always bought green pea when visit asian store.In fact I have wasabi one now!! my daughter and hubby love green peas too!! it's the grind green peas still hard after baked?

Pearl said...

yum :) i wonder what would happen if it were wasabi peas instead!

Taste of My Life said...

This look healthy and may be could try the salty type as well.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Les, I also have the wasabi green peas at home now. LOL! My husband loved those. Some part of the bigger piece of green peas still hard after baked, so make sure to process finely.

Haha Pearl, yeah I wonder, would be a spicy cookies for sure.

TOML, I used the salted green peas to make this. My little girl loved this kind of cookies, she fought with her sister for the last piece. LOL!

slow-1 said...

Perfect...all I need to do is get wasabi in there somehow (as LCoM) said

Baking Fiend said...

it must have tasted really fragrant!

pigpigscorner said...

Not a big fan of peas but I love green pea cookies!

tigerfish said...

In my hands, the green peas would not have ended up as cookies cos first, I love to snack (I would munch away all of the green peas), and second, baking is the least thing I would think of while snacking(and most probably, watching TV at the same time) :O

Unknown said...

wow!!! this is something different... :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Slow 1, are you sure you want wasabi in there? Not for me though!

Yes baking fiend, very nice snack. :)

Pigpigs, I prefer eating green pea cookies then green peas too. :D

Hahaha Tigerfish, you very funny lah! I'm the opposite! :P

Mikky, pretty common in M'sia. People sell this cookies for CNY too.

SIG said...

Wow, very healthy snack. I haven't baked in ages. :(

sock peng said...

yummy yummy

Noob Cook said...

looks so nice! I didn't know green peas can be used in baking pastries. I luv the touch of savoury in these cookies.

Leen said...

I've tried with the wasabi green peas. I was thinking of adding wasabi paste to make it more like 'wasabi-biscuit'. Any idea if I should reduce/increase any ingredients to accomodate the wasabi paste?

This is a definitely must-keep recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Leen, just a little wasabi paste, the ingredients can be kept unchanged. Wear a plastic glove when using the paste because it might stink your hands.